We have some type of pasta dish once a week at our house. Since it’s a frequent item on our weekly menu, I have to think of different ways to switch it up and make it interesting. I’m a big believer in using things I already have to create meals, which is how this recipe was born. It’s fast and easy to put together, and it’s perfect to make ahead and keep refrigerated for another time.
This is a double-win in my book! You can easily double this recipe to feed a large crowd, or make it as is for a family of four. We like to eat this dish as a vegetarian main course, but a protein such as chicken would be a great addition as well. It’s great leftover and makes an easy lunchbox addition for kids big and small!
Mexican Pasta Salad
Author: Allison Robertson
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- ½ pound pasta (whole wheat or rice pasta to make it gluten free)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 1 can black beans (or 1 ½ cups of black beans)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lemon, zested
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 Tbsp. lemon juice (1 ½ medium lemons)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- Pinch of cayenne
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- In the same bowl as the dressing, add the red onion, black beans, cilantro, jalapeno, red pepper, and lemon zest.
- When the pasta is cooked, add it to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix all the ingredients together.