Muffins are my go-to snack. These muffins are special because they make you feel like you’re having a dessert. That’s my kind of snack! Creating recipes that are healthy, low in sugar, and free of refined white flour is my number one goal. I want snacks to be healthy and tasty. This one will make you feel like you’re indulging, when really, you’re just having a healthy snack!
I love Christmas time just like everyone else. I love the traditional flavors that come with the season. I don’t always love the loads of candy, cookies, and other goodies that go along with it. For me, a little goes a long way. Nothing says Christmas to me more than the flavor of peppermint. Candy canes and peppermint candies aren’t exactly real food though. Who says those of us who are trying to cut out processed ingredients in our diet need to miss out? Certainly, not me!
My 8-year-old son calls these “Peppermint Patty Muffins”. For good reason, they really taste like a peppermint patty! Let me know what you think!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25-30 minutes
1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur’s organic)
¼ cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut oil, melted
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
½ cup water
1/3 cup maple syrup
¼ cup chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a mixer or bowl combine eggs, maple syrup, water, and melted coconut oil. Mix or stir until combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and peppermint extract to the mixture. Mix or stir until combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips.
- Fill parchment paper or silicon lined muffin tin cups.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until cooked through.
Note: Use gluten free flour to make this recipe gluten free.